Winston-Salem State University
Winston-Salem State University was founded 1892, as the Slater Industrial Academy. From the beginning, it has always insisted upon the vital importance of elementary school teachers in any program of building an improved citizenship. It’s emphasis continued in this area, and in 1925 the school was granted a new charter and its name changed to the Winston-Salem Teachers College: the first Negro institution in the nation to grant degrees for teaching in the elementary grades.
A Nursing School as well as other courses of study were later added, and in 1969 legislative approval was received to change the name to Winston-Salem State University. Today, it is one of the 16 campuses of the University of North Carolina system.
Winston-Salem State University is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award baccalaureate, masters, and doctorate degrees. These four colleges feature a wide range of majors and minors:
• College of Arts & Humanities
• College of Business
• College of Education
• College of Natural & Physical Sciences
Located on 94 acres in Winston-Salem, a part of the Piedmont Triad which encompasses the neighboring cities of Greensboro and High Point. Both the university and the Triad are situated in one of the most heavily populated and rapidly growing metropolitan areas between Washington, DC and Atlanta.
Student organizations encompass numerous Greek letter and general organizations, honor societies, and class and residence hall councils, among other entities, and students mingle and study in places such as the O’Kelly Library, Blair Building, and Haywood Residence Hall, to name a few.
ADDRESS: 601 South Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive, Winston-Salem, NC