Fayetteville State University
Fayetteville State University began in 1867, when seven Black citizens paid $140 for property to establish this educational institution. By 1877, the state legislature provided additional funds to upgrade this normal school for Black teacher training. Robert Harris was the first principal, followed in succession by Charles W. Chesnutt, Dr. Ezekiel Ezra Smith, George H. Williams, Reverend L.E. Fairly and Dr. E.E. Smith , who took the school into the 20th century. During Dr. Smith’s tenure, the institution moved to its permanent site on Murchison Road in 1907. Later, Dr. Smith and his wife deeded more land to the institution, enabling it to grow to 92 acres and several more buildings. Aycock Building, first brick building on campus, was built in 1908.
In 1933, the institution became a four-year college, renamed Fayetteville State Teachers College in 1939. In 1959, the curriculum expanded to include degrees outside the teaching field. In 1963 the name was changed Fayetteville State College. In 1969, the college was renamed Fayetteville State University and designated a regional university by the state legislature. Dr. Charles Lyons became the first chancellor when Fayetteville State University (FSU) was made a constituent institution of the University of North Carolina by the state legislative in 1972.
The university continued its upward spiral in the 1980s, as it was designated a Comprehensive Level I institution offering a variety of baccalaureate and master’s degree programs.
In 1995, Fayetteville State University master’s degree programs expanded to 15 and a doctoral program in Educational Leadership was established. Fayetteville State University community outreach/tutoring programs, capital improvements and privately funded scholarships to students reached a zenith under the leadership of Chancellor Dr. Lloyd V. Hackley, who later became the first African-American to lead the state’s system of 59 community colleges.
Baccalaureate programs feature 60+ degrees in the College of Humanities & Social Sciences, College of Business & Economics, College of Education, College of Health, Science and Technology, and the Center for Defense & Homeland Security. Fayetteville State University has 6300 students and a 15:1 Student/Faculty Ratio. FSU also hosts a study abroad program.
In 1995, major campus improvements began, such as the expansion of the Rudolph Jones Student Center and later a new Fine Arts and Classroom Building. Several residence halls have been built or upgraded. Other notable buildings experienced by students and faculty are Collins and Barber Buildings, Chesnutt Library, Lyons Science Building, Cook Dining Hall, and the Telecommunications. Within those buildings FSU features schools of Arts & Sciences, Education, Business & Economics, and Graduate Studies.
The school also responds to the diverse educational needs of servicemen and women at nearby Fort Bragg, continuing education and evening education students.
The FSU Broncos host a large slate of athletics and intra-mural sports. The bulk of student activities revolve in or around the Rudolph Jones Student Center and Office of Student Activities. FSU provides students with significant broadcast communications career opportunities via its 98.5 FM WFSB student radio. Student leadership opportunities abound in the Student Government Association, Student Activities Council, Accounting Society, Air Force ROTC, Association for Computing Machinery, Association for Individuals with Disabilities, Benjamin Banneker Association, Criminal Justice Club, concert choirs and marching bands, Art Guild, Theater Company, History Club, Political Science Club, Science Club and Sociology Club.
FSU is well represented with members in these National Honor Societies: Alpha Psi Omega, Alpha Kappa Mu, Alpha Phi Theta, Phi Eta Sigma, Kappa Delta Pi, Beta Kappa Chi, Sigma Tau Delta, Psi Chi, and Sigma Delta Pi.
ADDRESS: 1200 Murchison Road, Fayetteville NC