Founded as Benedict Institute in 1870 under the auspices of the American Baptist Home Mission Society. Bathsheba A. Benedict of Rhode Island provided $13,000 to establish Benedict on an 80-acre plantation near Columbia.
Benedict Institute was organized in a former slave master’s mansion to teach recently emancipated slaves to become contributing citizens. Hence, the Institute operated under severely limited economic and racial conditions in the South. The Institute’s original objective was to train teachers and preachers, with a limited curriculum.
In 1894, Benedict was chartered as a liberal arts college by the South Carolina Legislature and the name was changed to Benedict College.
From 1870 to 1930, Benedict College was led by northern white Baptist ministers and educators. In 1930, the first Black president took the helm.
Benedict College maintains a liberal arts tradition, albeit expanded while meeting complex and changing societal demands. The College currently offers bachelor’s degree programs in twenty-five major areas of study. Student enrollment has grown to 3,000. Something good is happening here!
Benedict College Honors Program seeks highly motivated, academically gifted students to engage in a challenging liberal arts education. You can earn a B.A. or B.S. in these disciplines:
Environmental Health Science
Religion and Philosophy
Benedict College upgraded residence halls, the activities field, historic Antisdel Chapel, Alumni Hall, Morgan Hall, Pratt Hall, and more under construction.
The campus houses approximately 1800 students. Students now take advantage of these extra-curricular campus resources: Art Gallery, Marching Band, Gospel Choir, Fraternities & Sororities, Harold Odom Dance Theatre, Homecoming Events, Instrumental Ensemble, Intramural Sports, and Student Government Association
Intercollegiate athletics sponsored by the college are Baseball, Basketball (Men & Women), Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Track & Field (Men & Women), Volleyball, Cross Country, Football, and last but not least, Golf.
ADDRESS: 1600 Harden Street, Columbia, SC MAP