11 Ways to Start or Rekindle Romance in Miami
1. The intimate and black-owned Copper Door B&B welcomes everyone
Back in the 1940s this hotel in the Overtown district catered to black musicians who performed in Miami Beach, but couldn’t stay there. An entrepreneurial couple — Jamila Ross and Akino West — renovated it into the prestigious Copper Door Bed and Breakfast.
2. Experience a touch of Italy at the Vizcaya Museum & Gardens
This turn of the 20th century mansion features a classic Italian country villa (24 decorated rooms), a Biscayne Bay waterfront (looks like romantic Venice) and an exquisitely sculpted barge.
3. Take a cruise from Deering Estate and fall in love again
The champagne flows on boat rides that launch from the Deering Estate. Passengers float by uninhabited keys and downtown Miami until they reach the wooden, water-bound houses of Stiltsville.
4. Learn how to play doubles on friendly tennis courts at Miami Beach Tennis Academy
Tennis pro Julio Avila teaches people how to play doubles. The game requires negotiating, anticipation and working together and can enhance relationships.
5. Brush shoulders with the in-crowd at the swanky Swan/Bar Bevy Restaurant
Restaurateur David Grutman, music icon Pharrell and Chef Jean Imbert opened the trendiest restaurant in the Design District. Diners love the Hamachi Tartare appetizer, the Branzino main course and the Pavlova dessert.
6. Dine in elegance—pre-theater—at BRAVA by Brad Kilgore
Come to the Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts to see shows like The Lion King. Eat at BRAVA, first. Order the N’duja & Potato Ravioli and succulent Bone-In Veal Chop.
7. Dig into Brazilian cuisine at Boteco Copacabana on lively Española Way
Sit outdoors and watch a parade of people walk by at this friendly Brazilian restaurant. Sip on Cerpa or Rasen beer. Dine on tasty codfish croquets and Mar e Terra (Surf and Turf) or Picanha na Chapa.
8. The Ritz-Carlton Coconut Grove, Miami’s spa lets you languish in luxury
The Ritz’s spa shrouds you in a calming serenity. Couples love the Honey Dream treatment: a full body massage using a beeswax thermal pad, an organic honey masque treatment.
9. Get pampered at the Newport Beachside Hotel’s spa
The Aveda Seven Seas Spa & Salon wipes out stress one treatment at a time. Lovers like the Restorative Package: Elemental Nature massage, Elemental Nature Facial, manicure and pedicure.
10. The National Hotel Miami Beach will sing you to sleep
The National Hotel in South Beach, a hybrid luxury and a boutique hotel, has direct ocean-view rooms, a longest infinity pool and moonlit dining at poolside cabanas feature a private guitarist.
11. Cuddle up in an apartment at the reasonably priced and friendly Waterside Hotel Suites
The hip Waterside Hotel Suites have spacious, low-priced apartments, with mini-fridges, mini-stoves and washer/dryer combos.
For the latest by travel writer Dwight Brown, visit DwightBrownInk.com.