Charlotte Heritage Sites
Historic AME Zion Church
DESCRIPTION: Formerly home to the Afro-American Cultural Center. Dr. Mary Harper and Dr. Bertha Maxwell established the Cultural Center here in 1974 as an outgrowth of the Black Studies Program at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte. In 1976, the AACC opened in Spirit Square Center for the Arts. In 1986, the Cultural Center moved to this facility. AACC featured feature two restored “shotgun” houses that date back to the 1890s — this type of home was the most common type of housing in Charlotte’s African American neighborhoods during the first half of the 20th century. AACC buildings are listed on the National Register for Historic Places.
DAYS & HOURS: Tue-Sat 10a-6p
ADDRESS: 403 North Myers Street, Charlotte, NC MAP
United House Of Prayer For All People Founding Site
DESCRIPTION: The charismatic and sometimes controversial, Sweet Daddy Grace founded the original United House Of Prayer For All People at this site in 1925. The church, and most other structures in the Brooklyn community, was torn down in 1970 as part of urban renewal.
ADDRESS: McDowell Street in Marshall Park, Charlotte, NC MAP
DESCRIPTION: Established in the late 1800s to quarter domestic workers for nearby affluent European Americans of Myers Park. As a result, a number of black businesses, services and churches setup in the area.
ADDRESS: southeast of Center City, Charlotte, NC MAP
DESCRIPTION: Oldest surviving Black community began in the late 1800s. Professors and students at Biddle Institute (which later became Johnson C. Smith University) lived in this area. Biddleville was an unincorporated area before it was absorbed into Charlotte in the early 1900s.
ADDRESS: next to Johnson C. Smith University, Charlotte, NC MAP
Historic AME Zion Publishing House
DESCRIPTION: Not the original structure, but it is the original site of one of the largest black-owned publishers in the country. The new, larger publishing house is in the suburbs. The site currently serves as the expanded NASCAR Hall of Fame.
ADDRESS: 2nd Street at South Brevard Street, Charlotte, NC MAP
Mecklenburg Investment Company
DESCRIPTION: The group formed in 1921 by several of Charlotte’s leading Black citizens. Their charter was to build this 3-story brick building, completed in 1922, in order to rent office space to local businesses and professionals. As a result the building became the focal point of Brooklyn’s Black community. Today, it is a National Historic Landmark.
ADDRESS: 233 South Brevard Street, Charlotte, NC MAP
ADDRESS: 740 West 5th Street, Charlotte, NC
Charlotte Mecklenberg NAACP
ADDRESS: 7925 North Tryon Street, Charlotte, NC
Little Rock AME Zion Church
DESCRIPTION: Organized in 1884, in the backyard of Mary Ann Hunter after leaving old Clinton Chapel AME Zion Church. The first edifice was a little house sitting on a rock, hence the name, Little Rock. The original property was purchased for $425. In 1906, the structure was moved across Seventh Street. The moving process was so slow, a funeral had to be conducted while the church edifice was in the middle of the street. The edifice, more recently utilized as a cultural center, was completed in 1911. The current sanctuary was completed in 1981.
SUNDAY WORSHIP: 10a
ADDRESS: 401 North McDowell Street, Charlotte, NC MAP
Walls Memorial AME ZION Church
DESCRIPTION: One of the oldest surviving AME Zion churches in Charlotte. The church includes a child development center.
SUNDAY WORSHIP: 11a
ADDRESS: 2722 Bancroft Street, Charlotte, NC MAP
Antioch Baptist Church
DESCRIPTION: Founded 1886, services were first held in the homes of church members. Land off Old Monroe Road was purchased for the first building was erected in 1900. Land beside the church is used as a cemetery for church members. A second edifice was erected in 1922. The third and current edifice was dedicated in 1975.
SUNDAY WORSHIP: 10:45a
ADDRESS: 232 Skyland Avenue, Charlotte, NC MAP
Sherman Memorial Church of God in Christ
DESCRIPTION: Founded 1906, this edifice is home to North Carolina’s 2nd jurisdictional church for COGIC.
SUNDAY WORSHIP: 11a
ADDRESS: 1401 Parkwood Avenue, Charlotte, NC MAP
United House of Prayer for All People
DESCRIPTION: This church became the new home for many in the congregation of the original UHP church that was torn down during urban renewal.
WORSHIP: Mon-Sat 7:30p, Sunday 11a
ADDRESS: 600 North Davidson Street, Charlotte, NC MAP
University Park Baptist Church
DESCRIPTION: Founded 1913, the congregation was first was located at 38 Brown’s Row and dedicated as Gilfield Missionary Baptist Church. The church moved to 613-A North Meyers Street in 1932. The congregation moved in 1953 to a larger location dedicated as Mt. Olivet Baptist Church. Unfortunately, Mt. Olivet was destroyed by fire in 1959, so services afterward were held in the cafeteria of the First Ward School. A new church was built by the congregation and dedicated as University Park Baptist Church in 1961. The current edifice was built and dedicated in 1982. Today, UPBC has one of the largest Baptist congregations in Charlotte and a TV minister.
SUNDAY WORSHIP: 7a, 9:30a, 11:30a
ADDRESS: 6029 Beatties Ford Road, Charlotte, NC MAP
Muhammad’s Temple #36
DESCRIPTION: The Nation Of Islam Temple in Charlotte.
SUNDAY WORSHIP: 1p
ADDRESS: 2717 Tuckaseegee Road, Charlotte, NC MAP
The Original Coffee Cup
DESCRIPTION: Gardine Wilson II’s original Southern café founded in the 1940s during the Segregation Era. Though demolished in 2009, this important part of black heritage should always be remembered.
ADDRESS: 914 South Clarkson Street, Charlotte, NC MAP
DESCRIPTION: This historic (circa 1800) plantation home, costumed interpreters and historic farm animals take you back to the early 1800s Catawba River home of merchant/planter/ slaveholder James Latta. The house is original with antiques ranging from 1790 to 1840. There are 13 out-buildings. Latta Plantation Nature Center has free admission with live native animals on exhibit.
ADDRESS: 5225 Sample Road, Huntersville, NC MAP
McCrory’s Five & Dime
DESCRIPTION: Home to McCrory’s Five & Dime from 1937-97, this Old Town Bistro was a key point in the Civil Rights Movement on 12 February 1960 when Black students from Friendship Junior College in Rock Hill were denied service at McCrory’s lunch counter. Ten refused to leave and were arrested, 9 served jail time for refusing to pay for bail; these brave soldiers kicked-off the “Jail No Bail” protests that lasted for more than a year and ultimately desegregated the town and filled up the jail cells; these were the first Civil Rights sit-ins in South Carolina. Now you can enjoy a meal like everyone else.
ADDRESS: 135 East Main Street, Rock Hill, SC MAP
Mt. Zion Baptist Church
DESCRIPTION: The oldest Black Baptist church in the region, is attended by many descendants of slaves.
SUNDAY WORSHIP: 11a
ADDRESS: 5376 McConnells Highway, McConnells, SC MAP
DESCRIPTION: Revolutionary War veterans Robert and James Bratton, built this home and defeated the British advance on these premises. This state historic site now features costumed Living History interpreters, a cotton field and farm animals. Though there have been renovations, the plantation best showcases its heritage when Bratton and Cathcart slave descendants return for their shared family reunion.
ADMISSION: Adults $6, Age 60+ $5, Age 4-17 $3
DAYS & HOURS: Mon-Sat 10a-5p
ADDRESS: 1444 Brattonsville Road, McConnells, SC MAP