University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff
The University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff is a land grant institution created in 1873 by the Arkansas state legislature as a branch of the Arkansas Industrial University, now called the University of Arkansas.
Originally known as Branch Normal College for Colored People, the school opened in 1875 in a small frame building on the corner of Sevier and Lindsey Streets in Pine Bluff. Professor J.C. Corbin taught the initial seven students.
In 1882, the school moved to a two-story brick structure erected by state funds onto 50 acres of Pine Bluff suburbs. From 1894 to 1929, the school operated as a junior college.
In 1927, the governor appointed an independent board of trustees for the college, and the state, General Education Board and Rosenwald Fund appropriated or donated about $500,000 to erect new campus buildings just outside the city limits.
In 1929, the school expanded school programming into a standard four-year cycle and in 1933 it was certified as a standard four-year college. Two years later, in 1935, a building program provided eight residences for instructors and a gymnasium, and in 1938 another building program brought more dormitories and a new library.
In 1942, as a result of the sudden and untimely death of Lawrence A. Davis, Sr. was named acting president and in 1943, was named president of the institution.
Extensive building campaigns marked the campus landscape from 1950-1968. These buildings were constructed during a period when physical infrastructure doubled: Larrison Science Building, Woodard Agricultural Building, Student Union, Browne Student Infirmary, Industrial Technology Building, John Brown Watson Memorial Library Building, dorms, and the J.C. Corbin Teacher Education Building.
In 1968, the Student Union completed a major expansion of this state-supported supported institution.
The University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and is a member of the North Central Association. It features these degreed programs:
Aquaculture and Fisheries
Chemistry & Physics
English, Humanities, and Foreign Language
Industrial Technology, Management & Applied Engineering
Mathematics and Computer Science
Social & Behavioral Sciences
Aquaculture and Fisheries
Computer Science & Technology
With an enrollment of 3,000 students and more than 90 organizations for students to join, they are plenty of ways to get involved, including Honors, Governing Boards, University Related, Hometown, Residence Hall, Activity, and Service groups.
One goal of the University is to have each student actively participate in at least one organization.
Fraternities and sororities on campus include AKA, Alpha Phi Alpha, Omega Psi Phi, Zeta Phi Beta, Sigma Gamma Rho, Kappa Alpha Psi, Delta Sigma Theta, and Phi Beta Sigma. among other things, hometown clubs help organize trips back home.
Each school year brings a Unity Fest, Lyric Junction, Thanksgiving Assembly, Fall Fest, Game Shows, Recognition Banquet, and the much contested Miss UAPB Pageant.
Athletic programs are part of the NCAA Division I-AA Southwestern Athletic Conference. There are Golden Lions teams for football, basketball, volleyball, baseball, bowling, golf, track, and tennis. The athletic stadium seats 14,500.