Savannah State University
Originally named Georgia State Industrial College for Colored Youth, Savannah State University was founded in 1890, located in Athens, Georgia and is the oldest public historically black college in Georgia. Moving a few months after its founding to its permanent location in Savannah, the college became a full-time degree granting institution in 1928. Four years later it was renamed Georgia State College, and was finally renamed Savannah State University in 1996.
Savannah State University is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award the associate, baccalaureate and masters degrees. Of the 2,300 students enrolled, most 90% are Georgia residents and 56% are women. There are also about 50 alumni chapters nationwide.
Serving a primarily African-American student population, the campus is located just minutes away from downtown Savannah on a beautiful 165-acre tract of land adjacent to a salt marsh estuary.
Students here have access to an array of organized and informal co-ed including 75 student organizations, leadership workshops, 15 intramural activities, student publications and internships, choirs, concert band, Greek organizations, intercollegiate sports and more. The campus buildings and facilities are many, including two gymnasiums, a fitness center with state-of-the-art exercise equipment, and five residence halls such as Bowen-Smith, Lester Lockette, Bostic, and Peacock Halls, as well as historic Hill Hall.
ADDRESS: 3219 College Street, Savannah, GA