Miles College in Fairfield, Alabama was established in 1905 by the Colored Methodist Episcopal Church (now the Christian Methodist Episcopal Church). It remains a Christian Methodist Episcopal Church-related, private, four-year liberal arts institution founded to provide leadership to the Black community.
The HBCU curriculum is formally and informally undergirded by attention to morality and ethics and to the perpetuation of Christian values.
The organization of the college was completed and chartered under the laws of the State of Alabama as Miles Memorial College in honor of Bishop William Henry Miles. But the name was not changed to Miles College until 1941.
For most of its years of service, the HBCU has been the principal four-year collegiate institution open to Black students in metro Birmingham. A high percentage of the Black educational and political leaders in the region are Miles graduates.
College courses at this HBCU are organized by:
• Social Sciences
• Behavioral Sciences
• Natural Sciences
Situated in a suburb of Birmingham, the campus is located on a 35-acre campus with seventeen buildings. Miles features a graduation rate among the highest in the country among HBCUs.
The school has renovated many academic buildings and residence halls, raised the college’s endowment, and completed special campus projects, including the Taggart Science Building.