Interdenominational Theological Center
Founded in 1958, the Interdenominational Theological Center (ITC) is a Christian, ecumenical, graduate professional school of theology and one of the most significant ventures in theological education in America. It was chartered through the efforts of four denominational seminaries: Baptist School of Theology (then Morehouse School of Religion), Gammon Theological Seminary, Turner Theological Seminary, and Phillips School of Theology, came together to form one school of theology in cooperation as an ecumenical cluster and were later joined by two additional schools, Johnson C. Smith Theological Seminary, Charles H. Mason Theological Seminary and the Absalom Jones Theological Institute. Though its founding was promted by the special needs of African Americans, ITC proudly welcomes students of all racial backgrounds.
The ITC welcomes persons across faiths expressing an interest in theological preparation for service in the Church and accepts students with connections to denominations beyond its affiliate seminary denominations through the Harry V. and Selma T. Richardson Ecumenical Fellowship, named in tribute to its founding president.
During its short history, by HBCU standards, the institution has grown under the administration of eight presidents. Dr. Harry V. Richardson served as the first president of the Interdenominational Theological Center from 1959 to 1968. Dr. Oswald P. Bronson served as president from 1968 to 1975. Dr. Grant S. Shockley became president in January of 1976 and served until the end of December 1979. Dr. James Deotis Roberts became president in August 1980 and served until April 1983. Dr. James H. Costen became president in December 1983 and served through June 1997. Dr. Robert Michael Franklin became president in July 1997 and served to June 2002.
Dr. Oliver Haney, Jr. served as Interim President for one year. Dr. Michael A. Battle was appointed president in September 2003 and served for six years, until August 2009. Dr. Thomas Cole was Interim President during the 2009-2010 academic year. In September 2010, Dr. Ronald E. Peters became ITC’s eighth president.
The ITC is accredited by the Association of Theological Schools in the U.S. and Canada and the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. Offers these Degree Programs:
Master of Divinity
Master of Arts in Christian Education
Doctor of Ministry
Doctor of Theology in Pastoral Counseling
With 450 post-graduates to 40 academic staff, the ITC is located on a ten-acre plot in the heart of the Atlanta University Center. Its facilities were recently renovated. The site is a generous gift of Atlanta University. The buildings and all other facilities are modern, providing every resource for effective instruction and comfortable living. The Office of Student and Community Life (OSCL) has administrative oversight for all student affairs. Its primary goals are to promote the spiritual, academic, and personal well-being of all persons in the ITC community. It coordinates the rental of ITC apartments, disability support services, and production of the annual Community Calendar. OSCL offers these activities and more:
ADDRESS: 700 Martin Luther King Jr Drive, Atlanta, GA