spacer

 

WINSTON-SALEM
and GREENSBORO


 

WS-St_Phillips_Moravian.jpg
St. Phillips Moravian Church in Old Salem

 

WINSTON-SALEM and GREENSBORO HISTORIC SITES


Greensboro, NC

North Carolina Manumission Society
DESCRIPTION: The first anti-slavery organization formed by Quakers met here in 1816 and disbanded in 1834

ADDRESS: Wenover Avenue West at State Highway 68  MAP

F. C. Woolworth Building
DESCRIPTION: This is the world famous First Lunch Counter Sit-in site where the Civil Rights Movement became energized with non-violent student activism; their persistence and cool heads despite overwhelming verbal and physical abuse at this lunch counter broke the back of segregation in Greensboro and became a model for non-violent sit-ins in the South and around the world; with additional funding for upgrading and expansion this site is slated to become the National Civil Rights Center & Museum

ADDRESS: 100 South Elm Street  MAP

Walkway of History
DESCRIPTION: Sidewalk markers depict 6 major chapters of local African American history ranging from the Underground Railroad to the appointment of North Carolina’s first state Supreme Court Justice; one begins to appreciate the distance traveled from man’s inhumanity-to-man up to today’s partially achieved racial tolerance and inclusion; many other Southern cities where the Civil Rights Movement played a profound role; would do well to study this example of historic markers

ADDRESS: February One Place near South Elm Street  MAP

Union Cemetery
DESCRIPTION: Three churches established this cemetery for the colored race in the 1880s; it is the oldest Black cemetery in North Carolina and is closely associated with nearby Warnersville, where lots were set aside for freed men after the Civil War

ADDRESS: 900 block of South Elm Street  MAP

L. Richardson Memorial Hospital
DESCRIPTION: Founded in 1927, it was originally known as the Greensboro Negro Hospital Association; it is the oldest surviving hospital structure in the region; the current name is derived from Lunsford Richardson (creator of Vick’s VapoRub), whose generous donations modernized this site listed on the National Register of Historic Places

ADDRESS: 603 South Benbow Road  MAP

Winston-Salem, NC

Old Salem
DESCRIPTION: There are many still standing structures which housed African Americans as residents or workers during the times of the Moravian congregation, including the Davy House, Single Brothers House, Miksh House, Volger House, and Salem Tavern; this town is also notable for schools and other public facilities that featured integrated settings nothing less than extraordinary for the South; God’s Acre cemetery in the 1770s buried Moravians of African descent side-by-side with Moravians of European descent and Salem Academy and College admitted its first African American female in 1785;  juxtaposed against more enlightened treatment of humanity in Old Salem, one can also point to Happy Hill just east of St Philips Church where the first enslaved people in the region were kept by Dr Frederick Henry Schuman in 1816

ADDRESS: south of downtown Winston-Salem  MAP

African Moravian Church
DESCRIPTION: A log cabin church was built here
in Old Salem in 1823, a year after their separate congregation was established due to exclusion by the European Moravian congregation from the nearby Home Moravian Church; this edifice is the nation’s oldest African American Moravian congregation; the church served briefly as a Freedmen’s hospital after the Civil War; this church has been reconstructed as a historic site

ADDRESS: Church Street just before it bends into Race Street  MAP

St. Philip’s Moravian Church
DESCRIPTION: Adjacent to the African Moravian Church site, St Philips was constructed in 1861 and is the oldest still standing African American Moravian church; several anthropological digs are still underway at this National Historic Site

ADDRESS: Church Street in Old Salem  MAP

Simon G. Atkins House
DESCRIPTION: Built in 1893 by Dr Atkins, founder of Slater Industrial Academy (name-changed to Winston-Salem State University), this house was the first constructed in the Columbia Heights community; it is a local historic landmark

ADDRESS: 346 Atkins Street  MAP

A Robinson Building
DESCRIPTION: Built in 1941, it a rare surviving structure that anchored the Black business community during segregation; it housed a funeral home until the 1980s; on the National Register of Historic Places

ADDRESS: 707-709 Patterson Ave  MAP

 

Bethania
DESCRIPTION: The second of the villages of Wachovia, Bethania, was laid out in 1759, in part to deal with the crowded conditions brought on by refugees; After only 13 years in the wilderness, some 166 people lived in the two communities; it later became known as a salve community

ADDRESS: Bethania Road at Bethania Rural Hall Road  MAP


High Point, NC

John Coltrane Marker
DESCRIPTION: John Coltrane (1926-1967), one of the two most influential jazz saxophonists, graduated at age 16 from William Penn High School; the commemorative marker is located near his boyhood home on Underhill Street

ADDRESS: Centennial Street at Commerce Ave  MAP

 

Social Media

                        

 

National Calendar Feature

National Sales Network Conference, Dallas

 


Family Travel

Family Attractions by U.S. Cities,
Top Black Museums and more

 

 

 

Sports Travel

 

Black Cyclists, Ski Clubs,
Golfers, Boaters, Divers and More


 


Black Spas and Black Inns


Relaxation and Inspiration
may be closer than you think

 





 

Award-Winning Black Travel Made Easy Since 1997

Loading

About Us      Advertise      Copyrights & Trademarks